Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Pole Dancing: A potential Olympic Sport



I'll have to admit I don't really watch any women's sports; in fact I rarely watch any sports.  While I think female sports is something to be pursued and awarded, I don't believe those sports like boxing, muscle-building, and other sports that attempt to emulate the physical strengths of men are necessarily the best outlets that highlight female athleticism.

I'll have to also admit that when I think of pole dancing I don't think of athletics; but there are those that do.  Twisting, contorting, and moving provocatively for the crowd won Katerina Witt a gold medal at the 1988 Winter Olympics in Calgary.  Female sexuality when coupled with raw talent has catapulted many women to international fame.  Anna Kournikova was never a great tennis player, but she did appeal to many male fans with her above average appearance.

So the thought of women pole dancing for the "gold" versus dollar bills slipped into a garter, doesn't strike me as obtuse.  No one doubts that a great deal of physical strength, endurance, and talent is necessary for the event.  So why then if sports dominated by prepubescent children as in gymnastics or sports that are dominated by artistic merit like figure skating, shouldn't pole dancing at least be given a chance to entertain the masses while allowing the ladies to strut their stuff.

According to pole dance advocates, "After a great deal of feedback from the pole-dance community, many of us have decided that it’s about time pole fitness is recognized as a competitive sport, and what better way for recognition than to be part of the 2012 Olympics held in London."

No comments:

Post a Comment