Saturday, June 8, 2024

Substack Stinks: Generating Google indexing for Substack is a Kafkaesque experience.

Bad Design

How do you create a social medium for idea exchange, that is touted as being better than Elmo’s trash monkey Twitter, yet none of your posts or your site are indexed in Google? Posts for newly created blogs with a trivial user base are not being indexed. They are not discoverable on Google. What is the use of spending hours writing a blog, for only two people to able to see it? That’s garbage.



I started a Substack blog a few months ago and I wrote a few posts. The interaction was zombie land. No discoveries; no web search finds; no feedback.

To investigate, I went to Google to find if I could find my site and the posts. There was nothing. Google literally said there was nothing! WTF is Substack doing? Writing on Substack is a complete waste of everyone’s time.

This is obviously a known issue with Substack,


Indexing Instructions

These are the instructions for getting Google to recognize your site if you are using Substack:

https://boodsy.substack.com/p/get-your-substack-on-google-search-console

These are the instructions to get your site data analytics from Google.

https://support.substack.com/hc/en-us/articles/15955098199444-How-do-I-connect-Google-Analytics-4-to-my-Substack-publication

With respect to the above, I am told I have to go through an arcane process of using IT features to let Google identify the site and then manually start indexing any posts. 

That again is F’ing garbage. 

This is enshitification.


A Waste of Time

Yahoo Geocities was more effective than this; that was 25-years ago.

I had more visibility in 2006 using Google Blogger!

In nearly 20-years, the process has gotten worst.

I tested the Google indexing process on Medium and almost immediately my post was searchable and indexed on Google. The management of Substack either don’t care or worst, it is deliberate, so that you are forced to build a closed community of followers that subscribe and/or pay. They even say that you need to heavily post and go out and find people to subscribe. That’s moronic, given that no one can find or read your bloody site.

Good work jackasses. 

No comments:

Post a Comment